Comprehensive Land Use Plan
The Coquille Tribal Council has made the completion of a Comprehensive Plan for Coquille Indian Tribe (CIT) properties a priority and has included it in the most recent Tribal Strategic Plan. The Comprehensive Plan will focus on multimodal transportation, planning and redevelopment opportunities for Tribal properties that are held in federal trust or in fee ownership. The Comprehensive Plan will guide and inform transportation infrastructure development and land use designations.
The project area includes properties in Empire, southwest of the city of Coos Bay. (Map) The primary focus of the project area is the North and South Empire properties located along Cape Arago Highway and adjacent properties.
“We are a proud, powerful and resilient people, a sovereign nation, whose binding thread is our Coquille identity. In the footsteps of our ancestors we celebrate.”
With this as its vision, the Tribe guarantees to its membership and the community that comprehensive planning will include sustainable land use. The Tribe desires to offer Tribal members, staff and the visiting public the opportunity to walk and bike where they need or want to go on Tribal lands.
The primary objectives of the CIT Comprehensive Plan are to:
A. Create a Comprehensive Plan that includes the following elements:
- Goals and Policies
- Land Use
- Natural and Cultural Resources
- Open Space and Recreation
- Economic Development
- Public Facilities and Services
- Transportation and Transit
- Integration of elements
- Implementation program
B. Identify compatible land uses and integrate with the transportation system to:
- Reduce the need for vehicle trips
- Maximize the efficiency of public transportation
- Offer increased multimodal transportation options
C. Improve access within and to the project area.
The CIT Comprehensive Plan project will include extensive stakeholder outreach, including:
- A Comprehensive Plan Working Team composed of state, local government and CIT perspectives will meet four times regarding development of the comprehensive plan. The team will provide technical guidance and input throughout the comprehensive planning process.
- A Community Questionnaire to identify expectations and desires of the CIT community for the Comprehensive Plan.
- Interviews with key CIT stakeholders about community goals, values and options for Tribal properties.
- Interviews with a broader range of stakeholders, including local agencies, businesses, and the land development community, to identify opportunities and challenges for Tribal properties.
- Two public meetings for CIT members to: 1) Review land use alternatives and provide input for selecting the preferred alternative; and 2) Provide input on the preferred alternative.
Visit this webpage for updated information on specific public meeting dates and times.